In addition to our geophysical surveying, reporting, public outreach and community archaeology, Earthsound has also featured in national and international media as well as continuing a profile in published academia. The following is a selection of some of the media appearances which have featured Earthsound projects and staff as well as some examples of our published work:
- Bronze Age Ringfort among sites discovered on Macroom Road Route. Article in the Irish Examiner detailing the archaeological work carried out on the N22 Macroom-Baile Bhúirne road-scheme in County Cork, irishexaminer.ie, August 2017.
- Creedon’s Epic East. Earthsound surveying the RIC Barracks in Annacarty, County Tipperary. As part of a series originally broadcast in the Autumn of 2016, Transmitted 14 August 2016, RTÉ Cork.
- The Lie of the Land. This 5-part radio series was produced, written and presented by Earthsound’s Darren Regan and also featured contributions from Earthsound’s Heather Gimson and James Bonsall. Transmitted 13 August 2013, Claremorris Community Radio.
- Secrets of the Stones: God’s Architects – Ground Penetrating Radar Survey at Clonmacnoise. Documentary for RTÉ Factual Series, Transmitted 4 May 2009, 52 minutes, RTÉ Cork.
- Schrödinger’s Katt – Ground Penetrating Radar and Magnetometer Survey on Storbreen Glacier, Oppdal, Norway. Documentary for NRK Factual Series, Transmitted 23rd October 2008, NRK, Norway.
Schrödingers Katt is a Norwegian TV show that covers science, technology, ecology, archaeology and lots more. A film crew followed Earthsound Associates up in a helicopter to 1900m, as we worked on the Storbreen glacier. In recent years the glacier has melted and revealed iron spearheads associated with early reindeer hunters. Earthsound Associates used a number of geophysical techniques – including sledge mounted magnetometers and ski-operated GPR units!Some of the instruments are featured in this clip. The instruments were used to see beneath the glacier to try and identify additional iron objects and further evidence of hunting. This short excerpt has been edited down to the English language component of the TV show. Video Length: 170 seconds© NRK, first broadcast 30th October 2008.
Posted by Earthsound Archaeological Geophysics on Wednesday, June 3, 2009
Nyheter – Geophysical Surveys at Haug, Stiklestad, Norway, filmed for NRK, Norway. Transmitted 2007, NRK.
- UTV Live – Report on Archaeological work at Binders Cove, Finnis, Dromara, Co. Down. Contributor and participant on report, UTV Television, Transmitted 24 April 2003.
Ó Maoldúin, R., Bonsall, J. & Murphy, M. In Press. ‘An Early Medieval precursor to Rossdroit Medieval Church’ in Brady, N. (ed.) Archaeology and the National Roads Authority Monograph Series, National Roads Authority, Dublin.
Bonsall, J., Chapple, R.M. and Gimson, H. 2017. ‘Scouting for Boys: Prospection and Autoethnography Methods to Map the Archaeology of a Jamboree’. In F. Beglane (Ed.) Gatherings: Past and Present. BAR S2832. British Archaeological Reports Ltd, pp62-71.
Bonsall, J., Gaffney, C. and Armit, I., 2014. Preparing for the future: A reappraisal of archaeo-geophysical surveying on National Road Schemes 2001-2010. University of Bradford report for the National Roads Authority. pp1-151.
Bonsall, J., Gaffney, C. and Armit, I., 2014. ‘A Decade of Ground Truthing: Reappraising Magnetometer Prospection Surveys on Linear Corridors in light of Excavation evidence 2001-2010’ in Kamermans H, Gojda M and Posluschny AG (eds) A Sense of the Past: Studies in current archaeological applications of remote sensing and non-invasive prospection methods. BAR International Series 2588. Archaeopress, Oxford. pp3-17.
Bonsall, J. and Russell, I. 2014. ‘Physical environment and Geophysics: Archaeological Geophysical Survey’ in Russell I and Hurley MF (eds.), Eogan J (Exec. Ed). Woodstown: A Viking Age Settlement in County Waterford. Four Courts Press, pp24-27.
Bonsall, J., Fry, R., Gaffney, C., Armit, I., Beck, A. and Gaffney, V. 2013. ‘Assessment of the CMD Mini-Explorer, a New Low-frequency Multi-coil Electromagnetic Device, for Archaeological Investigations’ Archaeological Prospection, Volume 20, Issue 3, July-September 2013, doi: 10.1002/arp.1458.
Bonsall, J., Gaffney, C. and Armit, I. 2013. ‘Back and forth: paving the way forward by assessing 10 years of geophysical surveys on Irish road schemes’, Futures and Pasts: archaeological science on Irish road schemes (eds. Kelly, B., Roycroft, N. & Stanley, M.), Dublin.
Bonsall, J., Gaffney, C. & Armit, I. 2011. ‘Magnetic surveys are failing to find Archaeology: An analysis of legacy data from the West of Ireland’, Archaeological Prospection Extended Abstracts, (Eds. Drahor, M.G. & Berge, M.A.), International Society for Archaeological Prospection (ISAP), Center for Near Surface Geophysics and Archaeological Prospection (CNSGAP) of Dokuz Eyül University, Izmir, Turkey, Archaeology and Art Publications, pp58-64
O’Brien, R., Gimson, H. & Bonsall, J. 2011. ‘Revealing Royal Rathnadrinna’, Current Archaeology, Issue 259, October 2011, pp26-33.
Gimson, H. & O’Brien, R. 2010 ‘Rathnadrinna Royal Fort, Cashel, Co. Tipperary: Archaeological Geophysical Investigations 2009-2010’, 16th Annual Meeting of the European Association of Archaeologists, Royal Conservatoire, The Hague, The Netherlands, 1st-5th September 2010.
Bonsall, J. & O’Brien, R. 2009 ‘Geophysical Investigations in the Royal Fort of Rathnadrinna, Cashel, Co. Tipperary’, Old Cashel Society, Cashel Library, 25 November 2009.
Bonsall, J. & Gimson, H. 2004. ‘Geophysical Perspectives in Archaeology’, Archaeology Ireland, 18.3, 22-25. Wordwell: Bray.
© 2002- 2017 Earthsound Geophysics Ltd.